New Jersey State casino regulators on Saturday cancelled the first event of the Borgata Winter Open after first suspending the game on Friday after suspicions about the use of fake chips arose. A total of 4,812 players were enrolled in this $2 million guaranteed event with 27 players remaining in the field. The actual prize pool reached $2,407,000. At the time of the suspension 423 players had busted in the money, earning a minimum of $1,082.
The state ordered “that all unpaid prize money be held in trust until more details and resolution can be determined.”
So far, no charges have been filed in the case.
“Thus far, investigators have found that one or more tournament entrants improperly introduced a significant number of counterfeit chips into the tournament, gaining an unfair advantage and compromising the integrity of play for the event,” Tom Ballance, the Borgata’s president and chief operating officer said Saturday.
“It is extremely unfortunate that the criminal actions of these individuals can have a detrimental impact on more than 4,000 other entrants,” he said. “We fully understand and regret the disappointment this cancellation causes our valued customers, and we will work diligently with DGE investigators to resolve the situation as quickly as possible. The integrity of our games and the confidence of our players is of the utmost importance to us.”
“We thoroughly verified all remaining chips in our inventory, and are confident in moving forward with our tournament schedule as planned and approved by the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement.”
The Borgata’s website said the championship event, which starts Sunday, Jan. 26, would include a $3 million prize guarantee.